Our Past


On November 19, 1884, the First Presbyterian Church of Quincy was established with seventy-five charter members. The congregation met originally in rented facilities, first at Robertson Hall on the corner of Hancock and Granite streets, then at Faxon Hall on Revere Road.  By 1887, sufficient funds had been collected to permit the purchase of land on Water and Quincy streets to build the first permanent house of worship. This structure, remodeled twice, served the congregation for over seventy years.

By 1934, at the half-century of its existence, the church's enrollment had grown to nearly six hundred. These were the peak years of immigration, both locally and nationally. The many newcomers from Scotland and the Canadian Maritimes, drawn by job opportunities in Quincy's booming shipbuilding and granite industries, provided a natural constituency for a Presbyterian Church. While we still have descendants of charter members worshipping with us today, the Scottish surnames are no longer in the majority, but there are still a few native Scots among the congregation. The church's Scottish heritage continues to be preserved in the sound of bagpipes at several of our Sunday morning services throughout the year. While we cherish this link with the past, we also feel fortunate to have been enriched by the infusion of other ethnic strains, more recently from Southeast Asia, Malawi, Trinidad, and Texas.  

The present building, at 270 Franklin Street, was dedicated in April of 1962, two years after ground was broken to lay the cornerstone and five years after pledges were collected in response to the Church Building Fund Campaign. The dedication of the beautiful Georgian Colonial structure on Penn's Hill marked the culmination of several years of work and sacrifice by many members who had the vision to see that continued remodeling and repair of the "old church" was no longer feasible or desirable.  In 2013 the congregation approved a Capital Campaign to address $300,000.00 worth of maintenence needs, restoring the building to pristine shape.  

In 1984 the church celebrate 100 years of ministry in the Quincy area.  Since the centennial celebration, the church has continued to grow more diverse with regard to the people in the pews, but the it's connection to the scriptures, strong music ministry, emphasis on teaching children and youth, and its presbyterian heritage, have all remained the same.  

Go